Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Post

I told the kids I would try to post each Sunday.  Sometimes it is hard to come up with what to say, and today is one of those days.  In lieu of some serious thought provoking post, I thought I would post highlights of this last week with a little treat at the end!

1.  Monthly I have a food storage shipment delivered to the house.  The cost is $50 or under, and it allows me to slowly build my food storage.  My shipment for the month came last week.  It was delivered when we were not home and put on the porch.  When we arrived home, we noticed it was there and made a mental note to get it after we unloaded our groceries.  Note to self: Mental notes are worthless.  Two days later, when I wanted to use the box that food storage came in I realized we never brought it in.  And it was no longer on the porch - SOMEONE TOOK MY FOOD STORAGE! I haven't looked back at my order online to figure out what it was, but I am seriously hoping it was something wonderful like dried spinach....

2.  It has been SO cold here in the evenings that we've been building a fire in our woodstove to warm the house at night.  It works pretty great to warm everything up for the few hours we are awake in the evening before bed, and then the heat remains through the night and part way into the next day.  Toasty!

3.  I have successfully finished another week of following My Fitness Pal.com.  It is a calorie counter and exercise tracker.  It truly is wonderful!  Dan and I are following it together - makes dinner easier to prepare! His blood sugar counts were very high when we started, and now they are much lower.  We are hoping that within a couple of months he will be able to stop his diabetes medication again.  It is looking promising.  I am hoping that by spring I will fit into the spring/summer skirts I bought last fall!  Again, looking promising.

4.  I started a puzzle this week.  I usually do a few every winter in the evenings. I had started one WAY before Thanksgiving, but I didn't work on it at all.  I decided it was boring, so I put it back in the box and started another.  This one is better and I am enjoying it.

That is pretty much it!  Oh, the treats....I'm going to try to record a memory or two of my kids when they were little on each post:

1.  David: When David was 3 we took a trip back to Michigan to visit family.  Sami, grandma and I spent a lot of time painting our finger and toenails pretty colors. David really wanted to do it too, but we didn't encourage him.  When we came home we were unloading everything and putting things away for it seemed like forever.  Finally we realized that David was missing....and everything was quiet.  Fear struck our souls - as only fear can when the house is quiet and a little boy is in residence.  We finally found him...outside on the ground, hidden behind the picnic table. What was he doing? Well painting his finger and toenails bright red! He was so proud! I'll have to find that picture and post it next time.

2.  Sami:  She was told several times that she needed to be the example to her younger brother. Also, she thought it highly unfair that at times her brother got to do certain things at a younger age than she did....We tried to explain that parents do their best, but that parenting is hard.  Oh and that she was a guinea pig of sorts, as she was our first child. I guess she had had enough one day after hearing this over and over and turned to me and said "that is it. I do not want to be the older child any more.  I don't want to be the guinea pig any longer." She was SO serious - it was hard not to laugh!

Melinda

2 comments:

Sami said...

this made me smile and giggle. thanks Mom.

Julia said...

Ha ha ha ha!!! Great stories!