Sunday, January 27, 2013

Balance

Balance - tough word. In order to be happy, we need to have balance in our lives.  It is like the saying I learned "moderation in all things".  So easy to say, so hard to achieve!

This week taught me more about balance.  It was a tough week.  I needed to accomplish certain things and really felt like I was failing in all respects.  As the week wore on I was feeling sad - a little bit hopeless. Then I had a talk with Sami that I believe changed  my perspective. Sometimes when called upon to counsel others, we find the counsel helps us more than the person we are counseling!  She too had a tough week and was feeling hopeless, overwhelmed, and not sure where to start.  She asked me to take a break and talk with her about what she was going through.  Sometimes I am guilty of talking on the phone and working at the same time - it is a hard habit to break, "multitasking". So I did as she asked, and was able to give  her some ideas about getting out of the hole and moving forward.  

Saturday morning I awoke with a much better attitude.  I realized that the advice to Sami applied to me.  Backup. Take stock of where you need to be. Make a plan. Eliminate the inessential and stick with essentials. Start over. Moderation in all aspects of life will move you forward.

So here it is Sunday and I'm making my plan for the next week. A brand new start and I am excited! 
1. Keep goals attainable.  
2. Celebrate the goals you meet.  
3. Take time to have fun.

On another note, I was happy that the kids were able to visit each other this weekend.  Makes me feel good they can depend on each other, and that they enjoy each other's company.  We spent the weekend getting household chores done, and had dinner with friends. We topped off dinner with an outing to enjoy the adult session of Stake Conference. It was enlightening and gave me lots to think about.


2 comments:

Julia said...

Great advice! Just reading your thoughts calms me down.

I'm so glad that Sami and David like to do things together, too. Hope your week is "moderate!"

Sami said...

Thanks for being there, Mom and for being the BEST MOMMY IN THE WHOLE WORLD! <3