Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day May 11, 2014




Each year about this time I think about getting flowers for the boxes out front.  I don't always manage to - some years I don't have the money, some years I don't have the time.  I didn't last year and was disappointed mid summer when I didn't have pretty flowers to look at.  There is something about digging in the soil that doesn't have rocks that is SO satisfying...Anyway, I decided to get flowers this year. A few weeks ago I saw that Costco had flats of petunias - one of my favorites - for $10 a flat.  By the time I got there on Saturday there wasn't much left - so I grabbed two flats, a purple and a white. I dropped by Home Depot and picked up different colors of petunias and some pansies and then hunted for some type of small bush I could put in the middle of one of the planters.   I almost bought a rose, but wanted a different color so I didn't.  I didn't have time to plant them yesterday, so I lined them all up next to the planters to be planted later.  THEN this morning Dan and David  surprized me with a dwarf lilac bush!  I was so excited because I've always wanted a lilac but didn't think I could have one because of their size, and the aforementioned rocks in the yard (makes it hard to dig a hole deeper than a teaspoon).  This afternoon I planted everything.  I am excited to have these beautiful flowers all season long.  I took a picture of the rose because it has sprouted a whole bunch since the last picture - and we have rosebuds!  I think this is the first time it will bloom since we bought it.

I am also excited for work tomorrow - all due to Sami's thoughtful mother's day gift.  She has seen me day in and day out with the phone tucked between my ear and shoulder trying to type at the same time.  It is hard, and I often end up with a sore neck and back.  This morning I received the holy grail for people like me - a blue tooth for my phone!  I am SO excited to try it! 

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

No comments: