Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Big Adventure & January Update

I started my own business 19 years ago.  Got a business license and everything under the name of Melinda's Transcription and Secretarial Service.  I desperately wanted to quit my state job and work at home so I could raise my own kids. The business stayed part time for years.... Fast forward to tomorrow:  I've hired part time employees and and my third starts tomorrow!

In November I looked at the state of our finances and the size my business had grown to and realized I was at a crossroads.  I either needed to work 10 hour days or I needed help.  I had already hired someone for a few hours a week, but it wasn't enough.  So with a hope and prayer, I took out a small business loan, updated my computer and bought another...and went for it!  The first two people I  hired have worked out well and I'm very optimistic about the third. I am excited about being able to expand and offer faster customer service. 

Both kids are safely back at school getting ready to start the new semester tomorrow.  We had a good time during winter break and enjoyed having them home.  It seems crazy that January is already here.  I've built more fires in the woodstove this winter than the last two winters combined.  They are calling for snow this next week.  So glad the truck is in running condition again!

2 comments:

Sami said...

Love you!

Julia said...

Congratulations, Melinda. I can still remember that time 19 years ago - the faith that it took to take the step was huge. You are a hero!