Sunday, December 15, 2013

Maybe Christmas---perhaps---means a little bit more

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before:
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store--
Maybe Christmas--perhaps--means a little bit more."
 


I know the true meaning of Christmas - Christ is the reason for the season.  Today I realized that I had allowed myself to get caught up in the too "much too do, too little time attitude".  Good thing we went to church today - and that I allowed my heart to open up and listen.  In sacrament meeting today we heard a talk about mercy and how it relates to the season.  My heart realized that while I have given mercy to others, I have not been merciful with myself.  I have been too hard on myself when I didn't finish all that I thought necessary to to have a successful Christmas.  I've been cranky and not very Christlike.  I've decided to adjust my attitude so that I can fully enjoy all that comes with Christmas. I'm going to pass along what I learned today in hopes that it can help you too.

 We learned that most of the things we do at Christmastime are service oriented.  We decorate our homes to be inviting and warm - so that loved ones feel welcome and loved.  We bake to bring joy to those that receive our gifts.  We shop to find that perfect gift that will light up the eyes of the receiver.  We sing to lift our praises to the heavens.  I would like to suggest that as we hustle and bustle in the next two weeks that we remember the service part of Christmas.  That we remember the love we have for those in our lives - the ones we are serving - is most important.