Sunday, April 28, 2013

Gardening and Getting Fit!

This last week was very busy.  I was unsure if I was going to do a garden this year...it is a lot of work, and I've been really, really busy with work I actually get money for, so I didn't know if I could fit it in.  What turned the corner for happened at a garage sale.  On some Saturday mornings I go out to garage sales with a friend.  It is simply amazing what you can find for SO cheap.  One Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago I found two tomato cages...the wire things that keep tomato plants all together and off the ground.  When I saw those I knew it was my sign...so I paid a $1 and that began my garden season.  This week I had another sign. I pulled the recycle bin around to the garden bed and began pulling grass and weeds to prepare to plant.  I always tell myself I won't let so much winter green enter my garden...but I have yet to be successful at that.  ANYWAY...I started at the easy end and started pulling...when much to my amazement, I found volunteer potato plants - another sign!  I think the gardening bug has well entrenched itself this year - I am excited to plant!

The other thing that happened this week is I joined an exercise group.  A woman at church is spearheading this group and it is being held three times a week.  The first day I got 10 minutes into it and felt like I would not be able to finish.  Discouraging thoughts kept coming at me..."you are SO old compared to these younger women"..."they are all thin...I've never been thin, I'll never be able to keep up"...and I think you get the idea.  I didn't give up, and by the end of the workout I was sweating and felt great!  I have set goals for myself...against myself, not others...and I'm ready to take on the challenge!  I intended on only attending two of the days, but on Friday I found myself in the car and heading towards the church.  I was SO glad I did.  I am really grateful to the person putting this together (thank you Tracy Adams)...

May 17 - Sami will be on her way home - YEAH!

2 comments:

Sami said...

<3

Anonymous said...

Gardening is work that pays off too... with cheaper grocery bills! I can't seem to get away anymore to exercise... I've gained 15 lbs since we moved! Yuck!