Sunday, December 9, 2012

Blessings



Aren't they cute? They never cease to be "cute" to me...I decided this post would be about blessings, so what picture could be more appropriate than two of my greatest blessings?

This time of year is not my favorite.  Horrible to admit, but it is true. There are things I really love about it: I love the weather (really), all the decorations, the focus on family, and the lessons we learn about Christ and His Holy birth.  I don't like the pressure to shop (love shopping...just not under pressure), I don't like the way people are impatient, rude, and unpleasant. I don't like the way the world is in a hurry...and the hurriedness triples this time of year.  Yes, "hurriedness" is a word.  So I've decided I need an attitude adjustment.  I am going to focus on the things I love about the Christmas season, and dump the rest. In order to help me focus, I decided a list of my blessings is in order.  I've also decided this list needs to be personal, and specific...and I challenge each one who reads this to make their own list:

I am thankful for (and blessed with):

1. God.  Specifically, I am grateful I can talk to Him in any situation, and that our relationship is such that I can talk to Him not only as my Heavenly Father, but my friends. What do friends do for us? They cheer us on...they hold us when we are aching and sad, and they help us grow.  I'm not sure what my life with be without Him.

2. My husband.  Specifically, I am grateful that he accepts and loves me as I am, warts and all.  And believe me, I have lots of "warts".  He is patient and he "gets" me.  He knows I am not perfect but he doesn't care.  He scrubbed the tub for me so I could take a bath after the birth of my first child...enough said.

3. My daughter. I am going in age order, so no, David, it doesn't mean I love her more because her name is before yours.  Specifically I am grateful for the adult she has grown into.  She is SO insightful, and so caring about the people around her.  I  am SO grateful that we never went through a period where she hated me.  I am excited to see where her life takes her and what happiness she will claim as hers.

4.  My son. Specifically, I love his loyalty.  I love it that he is protective of me and his sister.  He loves with his WHOLE heart, and that makes my heart swell.  I am grateful to the adult that he is growing into.  He is learning so much right now...not only academically, but spiritually and temporally. I love that family comes first with him.   I am grateful that we are close.  I am excited to see what his future holds, and for the eternal family he will add to ours.

5. My parents. Well, this isn't totally in age order.  I am grateful for ALL of them..and I have more than my fair share.  They each bring something good to the table of my life and I wouldn't be the person I am without them.  I am grateful that even though I am an adult, that I can count on them, lean on them, whine when I  need to, and share my joys.  I am SO grateful for the way I was raised and the values they taught me.  Honesty, integrity, loyalty, love.

6. My siblings. All of them. Specifically I am grateful to share this life with them...it makes life a whole lot less loney.

7.  My relatives through marriage:  When you marry, you gain another family.  If you are very,very fortunate, you gain a whole new support system. I am one of those very, very fortunate people.  I love all of my "inlaws" greatly...

8. My friends.  I can't imagine what my life would be without their wisdom, their sturdy shoulders, and their love.

What are YOU thankful for?

2 comments: