Sunday, October 14, 2012

Check In



Dan caught a picture of these two "sharing" my recliner.  Newbie likes to lay on the top to look out the window, and then Roo will sit in the chair. Apparently Newbie decided that there was plenty of room for the two of them to share the chair seat....


Sami asked for a picture of the corn. The garden this year was successful in some ways...but I planted too late this year, and then got tired of watering so late in the season so some things didn't get harvested, they died of dehydration. On next years agenda: watering system of some kind.  Anyway, Sami planted the corn and it did fabulously.  Potatoes, cucumbers, radishes, strawberries were all a hit. Carrots failed - planted them twice and they didn't make it either time. Lettuce was ok, but I didn't harvest it in time and it went bitter.  I did get one zucchini, and would've had more had I watered more.  I'm planning on getting a load of dirt and really winterizing the garden so that next year I will have less work in the spring.

I've decided to do a check in of sorts - stolen from a blog I follow - so here is my week in a nutshell:
1. Dan went out of town for three days.  I kept busy each day, and each night it was harder to sleep. I hate the dark, and I hate being alone at night.  I did it though - go me!

2. I was successful in meeting my work goal this week. I set a certain amount of hours I want to put in each week and then work towards that.  Due to variations in each week (doctor's appts, lunch with friends, etc) sometimes I end up working a little more on Friday than I intend. This week was perfect! I only worked a couple of hours on Friday.  Gives me a little breather and helps me to do the housework I want to do without doing it all day Saturday.

3. Speaking of Saturday, I went on a little retail therapy trip....I hit Value Village, Kohls, Fred Meyer, and Goodwill. I did find a few things I needed, but the elusive coat I've been searching for is still on my list.  And I came home with $ in my pocket - so score!

4. Spent time with a friend Friday night and then again on Saturday morning. It is SO important to keep friendships alive and well.  We all need a support system..it is better to have that support system in place all the time than to wonder where it is when you really need it.  So that is my challenge this week: Be a friend. Listen instead of speaking. Lend your love and your hand where it is needed. We all need friends.

Happy Third week in October! The wind is blowing and the rain is here - LOVE IT!

2 comments:

Sami said...

<3 love you Mommy <3

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a job like yours!

For watering the garden, I love those soaker hoses, they are black and flat. They keep the water where you want it and don't spray all over the place (wasting water) You just lay them out and leave them. Then hook up a timer to your hose bib, and voila! You'll never forget to water or get tired of watering, because it gets done automatically. Definitely worth the initial investment in the hoses.