Sunday, October 28, 2012

As the weather changes....


This last week proved to be a little stressful in someways. Dan took a work trip Monday thru Wednesday. I hate staying home alone - although I did have our canine children to keep me company, and I did sleep better this time.  I was SO cold on Monday that I build a fire in our woodstove - first one of the season! It kept me warm all night and it was so pretty to watch the flames dance.  Fortunately the time Dan was gone went quickly and he was back Wednesday night.  Some highlights of the week:

1.  I learned that it is not economically wise for me to go to Costco alone.  The book section draws me near every time and I have a hard time not buying everything I want! Fortunately I did escape for under $200...a minor miracle for sure.

2.  I used my "new to me" wood stacker (to the left of the woodstove) that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 this summer. I love the way it kept the wood neat and not falling all over the hearth...and it kept the puppies from dragging the wood all over the house. For some reason they think that the wood in the woodshed is for their sole pleasure of dragging around the yard.  While bringing that wood in from the shed they decided it would be a good time to play "kick mom in the knees and watch her fall into the mud"...fortunately I was not physically hurt, just irritated!

3. I was able to reconnect with my little sister this week and it has been a joy to me to be able to talk with her and plan a trip to visit our father.  She impresses me so much with who she has become and I'm so excited to get to be with her for a few days.

4. I had to learn to be a Long Distance Mother this week while David has been sick. Usually I am right there when he gets his twice yearly upper respiratory gunk, and it was hard to be so far away this time. He is recovering, and I am glad.

5. I had the honor of attending the temple on Saturday with Dan. There is nothing more sweet and sacred than attending the temple with your eternal companion. I am always struck by how my anxieties leave me and how I am able to concentrate on the message given while I am there.

6. Today at church I learned that it is important to extend forgiveness to others and to ourselves. All we have to do is sincerely ask Heavenly Father for forgiveness and he freely gives it - why do we expect that we cannot do that for ourselves?

I am SO grateful for my family and friends. It seems to be a good season to remember to say "thanks" to the people that touch our lives. My challenge to all of us this next week is to slow down...let someone else go first....help someone who needs help....and extend your love to those around you that may be feeling unloved.

 

1 comment:

Sami said...

<3 love you, Mommy <3