Sunday, September 30, 2012

My Favorite Month of the Year - October

It is my most favorite month of the whole year! I love everything about October.  The changing of the leaf color, swirling leaves as they fall to the ground, the brisk morning air, SWEATERS!, the bright blue sky, and just that "change of season" feeling.  Makes me happy.  Yesterday we went to Autumn in Fall. It was a small fair with horse drawn carriage rides, pumpkins for sale, food, and tons of little tents of people selling home made items and antiques.  I loved it!  It took forever to get there - oh my..I didn't think we'd ever get there but it was well worth it when we did.  We bought some homemade bread and a few other items.  It was a totally laid back, fun sort of morning.  Later that evening we had a great meal with some good friends to round out the day.

People keep asking me how I am adjusting to being an empty nester, so I thought I would make a list of what I like and don't like.  Maybe someone else that faces this same challenge will be able to take something from it.

Likes:
1. Clean Kitchen...every day.
2. Small laundry - never, ever thought I would say that!
3. Quiet evenings when the house closes up for the night.
4. Spontaneous activities with Dan - like the fair!
5. Dinner out for $13.50 - true statement!
6. Groceries for under $200 for two weeks!

Dislikes:
1. Bustle of a busy house with people going and coming.
2. Daily hugs from my kids.
3. Empty house all day...you think that would be on the Like list, but I get lonely in the afternoons.
4. Family activities
5. Making a big dinner that everyone loves
6. Coupon shopping with David!

So you see, it is a give and take. I am enjoying this different life, and I look forward with great eagerness to Thanksgiving when everyone is together again. 

1 comment:

Julia said...

Love your description! so poetic... I think October is now my favorite month, too.
And - empty nesting... you nailed it. Your kids are where you want them to be, but you miss them like crazy. That doesn't ever seem to change. Family is what it's all about. Love you!