Sunday, September 28, 2014

Harvest

Yes it has been a long time since a post.  Yes I have been gently reminded (nagged). So here I am!

It isn't a secret that this is my favorite time of year, and October my favorite month.  I love harvesting my garden and seeing the fruits of my labor.  I think this year was a resounding success! I planted: broccoli, lettuce, peas, tomatoes, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, miniature pumpkins, cucumbers, raspberries.  I let the lettuce go too long...it was bitter.  I didn't pull it all, however, and now I have nice lettuce trees.  None of my tomatoes had blossom end rot, which means they had plenty of water.  That is always a hard thing for me to do.  I grew two kinds of tomatoes - Early Girl and some sort of cherry tomato that was orange. Sun Gold I think...oh my- yum!  I had lots of cucumbers, but didn't eat many because how many can one eat?  And they got mushy in the fridge really fast....so I thought I would leave them on the vine til I was ready to eat them and the occasion just didn't come.  SOMETHING ate my biggest watermelon...and the cantaloupe is still growing.  I grew the peas in a different location and they grew three times as tall - taller than me!  The raspberries went wild too - I was able to eat a handful everytime I went out to the garden.  I'm planning soon to buy the black plastic, clean up the leftover foliage, trim the raspberries, and lay the plastic til spring.  Love it!

David has put in his papers to serve a mission. We are just waiting for one last interview and then they will go to Salt Lake.  There he will be prayed over and will be assigned a mission.  We are very excited, nervous, and on pins and needles.  To prepare David and I have been walking every morning.  It is so nice to get out and move again.  I don't know why I waited so long to start.  Hopefully my next post will announce I am down a size and ready for my new Christmas dress!

Sami is finishing out her college career and will graduate in December - woo hoo!  She has been dating a wonderful young man (Robert) and they are having fun together.  Am I hearing bells in the near future???

No comments: